Exxon Mobil Corporation is the world's leading publicly-owned energy company and it, or its affiliated companies, operates facilities or markets products in most of the world's countries. It is the parent company of the Esso, Mobil and ExxonMobil companies that operate in the United Kingdom.
In the United Kingdom, ExxonMobil is a major contributor to the economy:
- in 2013, we invested over £436 million in our UK upstream, downstream and chemical operations
- we provide jobs for more than 5,300 employees and around 1,300 contractors
- we paid £6.9 billion in direct and indirect taxes and duties in the UK in 2013/14 - about 1.1 per cent of the total UK government revenue. If the Chancellor had to find this money by other means, it would be equivalent to 1p on the basic rate of income tax
- in 2013, we invested over £1.4 million on community projects and initiatives in the UK & Ireland.
Offshore Oil & Gas
- since first exploration in 1964, we have invested nearly £33 billion at today's prices in the UK's offshore oil and gas industry
- we have an interest in nearly 40 producing offshore fields on the UK Continental Shelf, operated by other companies as part of a joint operation
- we are responsible for approximately five per cent of UK oil and gas production
- we are involved in a joint venture with Qatar Petroleum and Total to bring LNG from Qatar to the UK. The South Hook LNG regasification terminal in Milford Haven has the capacity to meet around one fifth of the UK's natural gas demand.
Refining & Marketing
- supplies around 20 per cent of all the petroleum products used in the UK
- our refinery at Fawley on Southampton Water is the largest in the UK, processing over 270,000 barrels of crude oil a day
- we operate around 700 kilometres of pipeline - the largest privately-owned underground oil pipeline distribution network in the UK
- we serve around 800,000 customers every day through our retail network of more than 1,100 Esso-branded service stations - around 14 per cent of all UK sites
- we market world-leading motor oils - including our flagship oil Mobil 1 - and supply some 350 different types of finished lubricants for industry.
- our chemical plants produce more than 1.6 million tonnes of chemical products a year
- our plant at Fawley, which is fully integrated with the neighbouring refinery, is the major European manufacturer of halobutyl rubber and a significant producer of basic chemicals and intermediates
- our ethylene plant at Fife is one of the largest in Europe - it has an annual capacity of 830,000 tonnes
- our Advanced Elastomer Systems manufacturing plant in Newport can produce 50,000 tonnes of thermoplastic elastomers (TPEs) annually, marketed under the Santoprene trademark.