ExxonMobil Premium HDME 50™ fuel
ExxonMobil has developed a new category of fuels that meets Emission Control Area (ECA) requirements, and is designed to help reduce your operational complexity. Additional benefits of our ECA fuels include:
- Helping your vessels comply with the 2015 ECA sulphur limit of 0.10 per cent
- Providing quick, safe switchovers with heavy fuel oil (HFO), due to the viscosity and heating requirements
- A higher flashpoint than gas oil, providing safer operation of engines – and especially large boilers
ExxonMobil Premium HDME 50™
ExxonMobil Premium HDME 50™ has received No Objection Letters from MAN Diesel & Turbo (MDT) and is currently used by a range of operators. It is available for vessels operating in the Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Antwerp (ARA) regions.
ExxonMobil Premium HDME 50™ fuel meets and exceeds ISO 8217: 2017 RMD 80. This fuel also provides:
- No residual material, leading to cleaner engines* without cat-fines and low ash buildup
- Excellent ignition quality, as well as excellent lubricity
- Better volumetric energy content compared with MGO
Switching to a low-sulphur fuel presents new lubrication challenges when compared to the use of HFO. ExxonMobil has developed Mobilgard™ 525, a high-quality cylinder oil specially designed to support marine operators operating on 0.10 per cent sulphur fuel.
*Compared to heavy fuel oil
Features And Benefits
- Higher viscosity compared to MGO, meaning easier handling compared with MGO. No requirement for chillers/coolers to be installed
- No residual material. Cleaner engines without cat-fines and low ash build up in engine
- Higher flashpoint compared with MGO providing safer handling in boilers
- Excellent ignition quality
- Better volumetric energy content of the new fuel compared with MGO
- Excellent lubricity
- Meet and exceeds ISO 8217: RMD 80
- For vessels running in a 0.10% sulphur ECA compliant environment.
- A pour point closer to HFO means that the product is to be stored in heated tanks and treated in heated fuel systems.
- When sulfur levels over 1.00% are present, comingling 10% -15% or greater with low sulfur HFO may result in asphaltene precipitation due to the reduced solvency action of the product. Since it is impossible to identify all crude sources from previous fuels bunkered operators should take a cautious approach and limit comingling of ExxonMobil Premium HDME 50 and existing low sulfur HFO to 2% or less.
- Cetane Index is not an applicable measure of ExxonMobil Premium HDME 50 ignition qualities and CCAI is used instead. Likewise the product is not clear and bright but green / brown in color. This coloration is due to the refining and processing of the fuel and is not an indication of residual product in the fuel.
ExxonMobil Premium HDME 50 is an Emission Controlled Area (ECA) compliant fuel which combines some of the unique features of a heavy fuel oil (HFO) with those of a marine gas oil (MGO).
It has better ignition qualities compared with HFO and also possesses inherent lubricity characteristics. These characteristics ensure peak combustion and minimize wear on internal moving parts within the fuel system that rely on the fuel for lubrication. ExxonMobil Premium HDME 50 has a viscosity higher than MGO resulting in easier handling of fuel switch-over operations and also optimizing proper injection viscosity and fuel atomization with an increased engine operational efficiency. This also means that chillers are not required to be installed.
|cSt @ 50°C||30 - 45|
|Total Sediment - aged, mass %||0.01|
|Oxidation Stability, mass %||< 0.01|
|Pour Point, °C||6-12|
|Appearance||Brown / green , opaque|
|Water, vol %||0.05|
|Ash, mass %||< 0.01|
|HFRR lubricity, microns||< 320|
|Vanadium, mg/kg||< 1|
|Sodium, mg/kg||< 1|
|Al + Si, mg/kg||< 5|
|Density @ 15°C kg/m³||900 - 915|
|Ca, mg/kg||< 1|
|Zn, mg/kg||< 1|
|CCAI||795 - 810|
|Sulfur Content, mass %||<0.10|
|Flash Point, °C||> 70|
|Hydrogen Sulfide, mg/kg||< 1|
|Acid Number, mg KOH/g||< 0.1|
|Total Sediment - existent, mass %||< 0.01|