Engineers aboard Great Offshore’s fire fighting supply vessel, Malaviya 25, reported significant improvements in valve cleanliness and oil consumption after switching from a competitor’s synthetic oil to Mobil Rarus™ 827 .
Performance benefitsMobil Rarus 827 is a synthetic ester-based oil with specific inhibitors added to protect reciprocating air compressors against deposit build up and wear. Malaviya 25 runs two HATLAPA compressors and Great Offshore’s Technical Deputy General Manager, P. Lakshman, noted the following benefits after switching to Mobil Rarus 827:
- Improved valve and compressor performance
- Cleaner valves with significantly lower deposits resulting in longer running periods between maintenance intervals
- Reduced deposits in discharge lines and improved safety in discharge systems
- Oil life extended from 3500 to 6000 hours and improved filter life, resulting in lower total lubrication costs and maintenance costs
- Reduced wear of piston rings, cylinders, bearings and gears
- Improved equipment reliability and reduction in unscheduled downtime
- Decrease in time spent on oil analysis administration
Cost savingsThese benefits allowed Great Offshore to operate Malaviya 25 at reduced financial cost. By switching from a competitor’s synthetic oil to Mobil Rarus 827 to lubricate its HATLAPA Compressors, Malaviya 25 was able to reduce the labour costs associated with compressor maintenance by over 40%. After 8,000 hours of operation, the reduction in oil consumption and increase in drain intervals was estimated to have given an approximate saving of 29% from the original cost.
Find out how we can help optimise your vessel’s performance and reliability by contacting an ExxonMobil Marine Fuels & Lubricants representative.
This Proof of Performance is based on the experience of a single customer. Actual results can vary depending upon the type of equipment used and its maintenance, operating conditions and environment, and any prior lubricant used.
Mobil Rarus™ 800 Series air compressor oils
Mobil Rarus™ 827 and Mobil Rarus™ 829 are high performance oils, primarily intended for the lubrication of severe-duty main and emergency marine reciprocating air compressors.Learn more