The Feltham Project
In the 1800s, William Froude built the first ship test tank at his home in Torquay. By 1908, growth in demand led to the development of a lab at Teddington to research and improve marine architecture and propulsion and to test British ship models.
Within the following 50 years, demand grew exponentially, requiring the development of the Ship Hydrodynamics Laboratory at Feltham in 1959.
This laboratory housed various tanks of enormous sizes for the day to run a multitude of simulations and tests in order to determine behaviour of vessels in transit on the high seas.
Click here to read more about the Feltham Project.